Adolescent Language: Beyond the Classroom
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This course includes five recorded sessions from the 2018 online conference “Spoken and Written Language in Adolescents: Fresh Solutions.” Taken together, these sessions provide strategies and tips to address communication needs to help adolescents succeed not just in school but beyond the classroom setting. Specific topics include: conversing with peers, transition planning for adolescents moving to secondary education or vocational settings, increasing resilience, and more. The conference included a total of 14 sessions, with the broad goal of presenting practical, holistic strategies to address the communication and emotional well-being of adolescents. Conference sessions focused on targeted approaches to treat adolescents with various language and literacy challenges at different severity levels—from mild to severe.
The five sessions in this course bundle are:
- Why SLP Services are Essential to Adolescents, and Why We Can’t Go It Alone, by Barbara J. Ehren, EdD, CCC-SLP, BCS-CL (68 minutes)
- Helping Students With Autism Transition to the Workforce, by Kim Murza, PhD, CCC-SLP (81 minutes)
- Boosting Resilience and Stress Hardiness as Part of Language Intervention, by Sam Goldstein, PhD, ABPdN (66 minutes)
- Improving Social Communication and Disrupting the Path to Delinquency, by Kristine Noel, PhD, CCC-SLP (57 minutes)
- Conversation-Based Language Intervention for Adolescents Using AAC, by Gloria Soto, PhD (61 minutes)
You will be able to:
- analyze the language adolescents need for forming a personal identity, forging relationships, achieving academically, and becoming college and career ready
- identify evidence-based practices for addressing pragmatic language skill development in adolescents with autism spectrum disorder
- incorporate practical strategies to support and positively modify adolescents’ mind-sets during intervention
- identify four practices that promote effective social communication in at- and high-risk adolescents
- design activities and contexts to support the development of conversational skills with adolescents who use AAC
What is Included?
You'll get online access to all the course content, including the full video, handouts, and references so you can access it from anywhere!
Self-assessment—Think about what you learned and report on the Completion Form how you will use your new knowledge.
View all courses from the “Spoken and Written Language in Adolescents: Fresh Solutions” online conference, available through the ASHA Learning Pass subscription or as an a la carte purchase.