Adolescent Language: Success With the School Curriculum
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This course includes five recorded sessions from the 2018 online conference “Spoken and Written Language in Adolescents: Fresh Solutions.” Taken together, these sessions provide strategies and tips to help adolescents access the school curriculum and achieve academic success. The conference included a total of 14 sessions, with the broad goal of presenting practical, holistic strategies to address the communication and emotional well-being of adolescents. Conference sessions focused on targeted approaches to treat adolescents with various language and literacy challenges at different severity levels—from mild to severe.
The five sessions in this course bundle are:
- Strategies for Meeting the Demands of the Secondary Curriculum, by Michael Faggella-Luby, PhD (74 minutes)
- Academic Language and Disciplinary Learning, by Zhihui Fang, PhD (50 minutes)
- Code Switching by Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Adolescents, by Garvin P. Romane, PhD, CCC-SLP (64 minutes)
- Building a Literate Lexicon in Middle School: Assessment and Intervention for Adolescents, by Marilyn A. Nippold, PhD, CCC-SLP (71 minutes)
- Peer Coaching With Secondary Teachers, by Diane Gillam, MEd; Linda Freeman, MS, CCC-SLP; and Susan Trumbo, MS (58 minutes)
You will be able to:
- match academic and executive function demands to appropriate learning strategies for self-regulated use by students
- identify the challenges of academic language in disciplinary learning and use evidence-based practices to help adolescents cope with these challenges
- identify how code switching can be beneficial during classroom instruction
- identify appropriate words from science, math, and literature for assessment and intervention with adolescents
- use an instructional cycle collaboratively to address the needs of students
What is Included?
You'll get online access to all the course content, including the full video, handouts, and references so you can access it from anywhere!
Self-assessment—Think about what you learned and report on the Completion Form how you will use your new knowledge.
View all courses from the “Spoken and Written Language in Adolescents: Fresh Solutions” online conference, available through the ASHA Learning Pass subscription or as an a la carte purchase.