Adolescents and Adults With ASD: Communication Challenges and Intervention Strategies
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This course includes four recorded sessions from the 2017 online conference “Communication Interventions for Adolescents and Adults With Autism.” Taken together, these sessions give a sense of the breadth of communication challenges that adults and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder face. These sessions also explore some distinctive strategies, specifically self-modeling and AAC interventions. The conference included a total of 16 sessions, with the broad goal of giving SLPs tools to help students and clients develop or enhance friendships and strengthen work-life relationships to support their academic and workplace success.
The four sessions in this course are:
- Stuck in the Middle: An Overview of Communication Challenges Faced by Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorder, by Nancy Brady, PhD, CCC-SLP
- A Sociocultural Understanding of Autism, by Betty Yu, PhD, CCC-SLP
- Using Self-Modeling in Intervention, by Tom Buggey, PhD
- AAC: Assessment Considerations and Intervention Strategies for Adolescents, by Jane K. Quarles, MS, CCC-SLP
You will be able to:
- describe strategies that promote social communication in authentic contexts
- explain the implications of a sociocultural understanding of autism for clinical research and practice
- create a video archive of behaviors and skills using point-of-view modeling
- identify activities to incorporate into intervention sessions when working with an individual with ASD who is an emergent AAC user
What is Included?
You'll get online access to all the course content, including the full video, handouts, and references so you can access it from anywhere!
Self-assessment—Think about what you learned and report on the Completion Form how you will use your new knowledge.
View all courses from the “Communication Interventions for Adolescents and Adults With Autism” online conference, available through the ASHA Learning Pass subscription or as an a la carte purchase.