Adolescents and Adults With ASD: Reading, Learning, and Classroom Engagement
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This course includes four recorded sessions from the 2017 online conference “Communication Interventions for Adolescents and Adults With Autism.” These sessions focus on communication interventions related to learning, with the goal of improving reading comprehension, conversation skills, narrative skills, classroom engagement, and curriculum access for adults and teens with autism spectrum disorder. The conference included a total of 16 sessions, with the broad goal of giving SLPs tools to help students and clients develop or enhance friendships and strengthen work-life relationships to support their academic and workplace success.
The four sessions in this course are:
- Strategies for Accessing Curriculum and Improving Learning, by Jennifer Collier, MA, CCC-SLP
- Classroom Engagement for Adolescents, by Jessica R. Dykstra Steinbrenner, PhD, CCC-SLP
- Reading Between the Lines: Facilitating Reading Comprehension, by Shari Robertson, PhD, CCC-SLP
- Using Narrative to Support Learning in Adolescents and Adults, by Lynne E. Hewitt, PhD, CCC-SLP
You will be able to:
- select strategies to address learning and curriculum-access challenges and create a realistic treatment plan
- select evidence-based practices and strategies to use based on characteristics of the adolescent, setting, and/or activity
- identify and apply appropriate methods of reading comprehension assessment as well as apply evidence-based intervention strategies to target reading comprehension
- design interventions using expository, fictional, and personal experience narratives that support language and social learning outcomes
What is Included?
You'll get online access to all the course content, including the full video, handouts, and references so you can access it from anywhere!
Self-assessment—Think about what you learned and report on the Completion Form how you will use your new knowledge.
View all courses from the “Communication Interventions for Adolescents and Adults With Autism” online conference, available through the ASHA Learning Pass subscription or as an a la carte purchase.