Children With Autism: Intervention Strategies
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This course includes five recorded sessions from the 2018 online conference “Children With Autism: Matching Interventions to Communication Needs.” Taken together, these sessions highlight practical interventions to support school-age students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), from video modeling to narrative text to behavior-based interventions. The conference included a total of 13 sessions, with the broad goal of presenting current best practices in intervention for school-age students with ASD. Conference sessions focused on tips and strategies SLPs can use to choose the most appropriate interventions for each child using an evidence-based approach that balances family preferences, research, and clinical judgment/expertise.
The five sessions in this course bundle are:
- Setting the Stage: Moving From Assessment to Intervention for Children With ASD, by Donna S. Murray, PhD, CCC-SLP (60 minutes)
- Evaluating Popular Interventions: Ensuring Evidence-Based Practices, by Meher Banajee, PhD, CCC-SLP (71 minutes)
- Using Video Modeling With Children With ASD, by Tom Buggey, PhD (96 minutes)
- Narrative Text Comprehension for Learners With ASD, by Pamela Williamson, PhD, and Christina R. Carnahan, EdD (42 minutes)
- Speech-Language Pathology and Behavior Analysis: Increasing Communication in Children With ASD, by Teresa Cardon, PhD, CCC-SLP, BCBA-D (56 minutes)
You will be able to:
- list the core challenges and common co-occurring conditions associated with ASD
- select evidence-based strategies for individual children with ASD based on the ability of the strategy to meet the goals for that child
- explain the effectiveness of video modeling to parents and caregivers
- identify tools to support narrative comprehension as part of a systematic approach
- create a list of the evidence-based and basic procedures for common behaviorally based interventions to improve communication for children with ASD
What is Included?
You'll get online access to all the course content, including the full video, handouts, and references so you can access it from anywhere!
Self-assessment—Think about what you learned and report on the Completion Form how you will use your new knowledge.
View all courses from the “Children With Autism: Matching Interventions to Communication Needs” online conference, available through the ASHA Learning Pass subscription or as an a la carte purchase.