Children With Autism: School Supports
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This course includes five recorded sessions from the 2018 online conference “Children With Autism: Matching Interventions to Communication Needs.” Taken together, these sessions provide practical strategies for school-based SLPs to improve the school experience for school-age students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The conference included a total of 13 sessions, with the broad goal of presenting current best practices in intervention for school-age students with ASD. Conference sessions focused on tips and strategies SLPs can use to choose the most appropriate interventions for each child using an evidence-based approach that balances family preferences, research, and clinical judgment/expertise.
The five sessions in this course bundle are:
- Classroom Environmental Supports for Students With ASD, by Jessica R. Dykstra Steinbrenner, PhD, CCC-SLP (70 minutes)
- Friendships, Social Skills, and Interventions at School, by Connie Kasari, PhD (70 minutes)
- SLP Knowledge and Perceptions of Bullying, by Erin Ofe Mauldin, MS, CCC-SLP (49 minutes)
- Service Delivery Models for Working with Students With ASD, by Catherine B. Zenko, MS, CCC-SLP (61 minutes)
- A Blueprint for Constructing IEPs for Children With ASD, by Diane Twachtman-Cullen, PhD (72 minutes)
You will be able to:
- list evidence-based environmental supports that can be used in the classroom to improve engagement and behavior of students with ASD
- select targets for social interventions for children with ASD
- identify characteristics that put children with ASD at risk for being bullied
- create accommodations for students with ASD that address the disconnect between their learning styles/abilities and academic demands
- write IEP goals and objectives that are specific to the evidence-based, social-language learning needs of children and adolescents with ASD
What is Included?
You'll get online access to all the course content, including the full video, handouts, and references so you can access it from anywhere!
Self-assessment—Think about what you learned and report on the Completion Form how you will use your new knowledge.
View all courses from the “Children With Autism: Matching Interventions to Communication Needs” online conference, available through the ASHA Learning Pass subscription or as an a la carte purchase.