Complex Cases in Adult Dysphagia: Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Digestive Systems
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This course includes four recorded sessions from the 2015 online conference “Complex Cases in Adult Dysphagia.” These sessions focus on the relationships between swallowing and the cardiovascular, respiratory, and digestive systems. The conference included a total of 12 sessions, with the broad goal of giving SLPs evidence-based skills to manage tough cases, develop clinical intuition, and determine the most appropriate plan for a patient's individual condition.
The four sessions in this course are:
- A Review of Body Systems and Dysphagia, by James L. Coyle
- Dysphagia in Patients With Cardiovascular and Cardiopulmonary Disease, by James L. Coyle
- The Pulmonary System and Dysphagia: Connecting the Dots for Effective Management, by Karen Dikeman and Marta Kazandjian
- Esophageal Dysphagia: The SLP's Role, by Caryn S. Easterling
You will be able to:
- Describe the interactions between the respiratory system and upper aerodigestive tract
- Explain the contribution of restrictive and obstructive pulmonary diseases, congestive heart failure, and pneumonia on swallowing function
- Describe the potential impact of pulmonary disorders, tracheostomy, and ventilator dependence on safe swallowing
- Describe how the presence of esophageal disorders may impact the patient’s dysphagia treatment plan
What is an eWorkshop?
An ASHA eWorkshop is a slide- and video-based workshop you can watch at your leisure.
View all courses from the “Complex Cases in Adult Dysphagia” online conference, available through the ASHA Learning Pass subscription or as an a la carte purchase.