Developmental Language Disorder/Specific Language Impairment Terminology in Practice
Already an ASHA Learning Pass subscriber?
This Perspectives (SIG 1) forum focuses on developmental language disorder (DLD),
including the history of terminology changes in the field, the relationship of specific
language impairment and DLD, diagnostic criteria in the field of speech language
pathology, and an examination of DLD through a school-based lens.
You will be able to:
- describe the history of clinical labels for children with specific language
- explain why studies of children with specific language impairment are relevant
to evidence-based practice
- discuss how terminology used in IDEA categories for children’s language
problems intensifies the need to clarify definitions of language disorders in
- describe advantages of the term developmental language disorder
- discuss the implications of the language disorder label debate for the school